Xbox One - Smartglass
  • http://news.xbox.com/2013/09/ent-xbox-one-smartglass

Highlights:

On average it only takes about four seconds for SmartGlass to recognize your Xbox One and create an instant connection. Of course, this is based on the speed of your wireless connection, but generally SmartGlass is about three-and-a-half times faster on Xbox One than its Xbox 360 predecessor. And that’s just for your first connection, once you’re synced up, re-connecting will happen even faster. With Xbox 360, SmartGlass had to talk to a datacenter that could be halfway around the world, and the datacenter then relayed commands to your Xbox. That connection from your SmartGlass device to a datacenter and then to your Xbox required extra time to execute. Now, SmartGlass talks directly to your Xbox One over your Wi-Fi or LAN network.

A core feature that was super important for us is that gamers can use SmartGlass for matchmaking on Xbox One. If you’re in the middle of game on your console, you can begin matchmaking for a multiplayer session through SmartGlass and you won’t interrupt your action on the big screen.

You’ll also have access to Game DVR clips that you and your friends create.

You can do a lot with SmartGlass when you’re watching TV on your Xbox One. You can change channels on your cable or satellite set-top box and even control the volume of your television. When you hit volume up on your SmartGlass device, for example, it tells your Xbox One console to send the volume up command through IR blasting from Kinect directly to your TV. Xbox One integrates all your entertainment into an easy to navigate OneGuide—a single destination for seeing what’s on TV, your favorite channels and even programs that you watch in your favorite streaming apps. You can either navigate the OneGuide on the TV, or you can access it on your smartphone, tablet or laptop with SmartGlass. So when you’re fighting over the remote or what to watch next, use SmartGlass to see what’s on and what to watch without interrupting what’s happening on the TV or to go ahead and change the channel if the remote is nowhere to be found.
  • Man, that's pretty rad. The apps is SLOW right now. It's the main reason I don't use it. Sounds like they improved that.

Using it to set up matchmaking is awesome. I'm not a huge MP guy, but it's cool knowing I can be playing Peggle while waiting for BF4 to load.

Being able to play game DVR stuff is cool.

and the TV control is neat. I'll have to see how the IR blasters work and if they are included. Running all of those cables to the IR sensors on my HT will be a pain, but if it works well is an awesome feature and I don't mind the trouble. My stuff could use a clean up as it is. There's cords everywhere behind my rack.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!